Food plays in an integral part in your everyday life, and it is more than just where to eat for lunch or what wine accentuates a good meal. Food and drinks play a major role in the overall health of your teeth and gums. Take the following five items on our list, for instance, as they provide a cure for your hunger while supplying nutrients to promote a healthy mouth!
1. Dairy products – Dairy products come in a wide variety of forms, most notably milk, cheese, and ice cream. These items, well maybe not the ice cream, are packed with calcium and phosphorus which are key components in strengthening tooth enamel. Top that off with the fact that it helps strengthen bones and you have a one two punch of goodness.
Take caution not to consume highly sugared products, hence why ice cream is not such a great idea. The sugar creates acid along with your gum line, thus reversing the health advantage of the ice cream. If you happen to be lactose intolerant, you can still obtain the benefits of calcium by drinking soy/almond/coconut based products which have calcium added to them.
2. Vegetables – You may despise kale, broccoli, or even book choy, but these leafy dark green veggies contain great amounts of vitamin K, which is a key component to strong bone formation, healthy teeth, and every bit as important at calcium. Spinach is also a great super food as it is extremely rich in antioxidants, packed with beneficial vitamins, and even has some calcium to boot. Instead of reaching for a candy bar at your lunch break, why not nibble on something that only helps keep your body, and teeth, nice and strong.
3. Fish – Fish is another one of those amazing foods that is stuffed with gobs of health benefits. Fish oil aids in helping keep you happy on gray days, meanwhile they are packed with vitamin D, calcium, and fluoride. If you can hand fish with edible bones, like sardines, you get the full gamut of benefits in a healthy snack. Even a can of tuna fish can play an important role in healthy teeth and gums.
4. Protein packed foods – Protein-rich foods contain phosphorus which is a massive component to bones and teeth. Eating meats such as poultry, fish, eggs, and even lean beef is a tasty way to fend off hunger while providing your body the nutrients it needs to strengthen your teeth.
5. Tea – Tea is a marvelous drink. Not only is this beverage consumed in just about every corner of the world, but it is amazing at how many health benefits are associated with this simple leaf. No matter what kind of tea you enjoy, there is a high probability that it contains fluoride, which in turn helps curb your thirst while strengthening tooth enamel and protecting your choppers from tooth decay. Instead of reaching for a soda at lunch, enjoy a cup of tea as your body will truly thank you for it.
You can always consult your dentist about the best foods and drinks to consume in order to keep your teeth healthy and strong. Avoid processed sugars as much as possible, eat sensibly, and maintain proper oral hygiene to have the best smile you can for decades.